Consulting Engineer – Optical Telecommunications
@Orchard LLC has been retained by one of the most important technology companies you’ve not heard of. They are responsible for the underlying networks supporting many of the innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show), as well as critical infrastructure that keeps us safe and serves critical missions. For more than 25 years, our client has been the global leader in networking strategy, and their technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies and government institutions in the world.
Our client has upcoming opportunities for experienced Consulting Engineers with Active Top Secret Clearances, and a Full Scope Poly to support Government clients in Maryland and Northern Virginia. As a Consulting Engineer, you will be responsible for the generation, coordination, and execution of internal and carrier test plans to ensure terminal products, software, and hardware implementation meet customer approval and, certification criteria. You will also be responsible as the subject matter expert for related standards development and interpretation of customer requirements and, specifications in order to provide guidelines to Corporate R&D members for feature implementations.
Your Responsibilities will likely include the following;
- Hold design and information gathering workshops with the customer to understand the customer’s existing network design and technical requirements.
- Understand the customer’s organizational structure and become familiar with the customer’s network implementation and support processes and procedures.
- Use network design tools (e.g. Ciena OnePlanner, Ciena MPBP, etc.)
- Create, review, validate and publish required customer required reports
- Contribute to customer support knowledgebase.
- Travel to other customer sites with short notice.
- You may also be engaged in customer training.
- Participate with peers to co-resolve critical client Multi-technology network issues and provide creative recommendations to highly complex network issues.
- Follow the Global Technical Support processes as outlined and provided.
- Provide on-call support evenings and weekends for critical events.
- Establish and maintain a strong technical support relationship with assigned clients.
- Participate with peers to co-resolve critical client multi-technology network issues and provide creative recommendations to highly complex network issues.
- Verify and report design, reliability, and maintenance problems or defects to the engineering teams and communicate with engineering and manufacturing on problems found in the field.
- Act as a technical consultant to other Technical Support functions and others in the company.
Your background must include the following;
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Computer Science or related field/discipline.
- Proven working experience & understanding of Layers 0-3 required.
- 8 plus years of directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience
- Excellent understanding of SONET/SDH, ATM, GbE, ADM, TL1 commands, and other Switching/transport concepts are required.
- Experience with Optical networking products such as Cienaa 6500 product line
- Demonstrated understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications.
- Familiar with the use of various optical and Ethernet technologies test equipment.
- Good knowledge and experience with Network Management software and a general understanding of the fiber optic transport and switching protocols are desired.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot and debug complex system-level issues.
- Excellent customer service interaction skills especially in stressful situations.
- Must be able to work well in a collaborative team environment that promotes sharing of knowledge and experiences.
- Experience in providing technical support; preferably through an equipment vendor in the Telco equipment industry.
- Expert in defining problem down to design level and translating back to Development
Additional preferred qualifications and experience;
- Master’s, Ph.D. degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science, or another technical related field.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
If this opportunity sounds like a good fit, or if you would simply like more information, please apply so that we can paint the full picture.