Are you ready to be both a hands-on expert and a leader of a team of experienced R&D Scientists tasked with developing new diagnostics for a new entrant into the NGS market?
Do you want to work for a firm that already has a market-leading position in testing and is now leveraging its expertise in the area of Sequencing and Oncology in particular?
Can you be a subject matter expert, and an inspirational leader, tasked with being one of the first leaders building a new lab infrastructure and team?
Do you believe that building an innovative, best-in-class team and combining them with exceptional technology and a research mindset can change the game in Sequencing?
Do you want to be a leader and a part of the integration between standards of care and Biopharma, driving real impacts on patient care and outcomes?
If your answer to these questions is an emphatic “yes” and you are ready to help lead an established segment leader, with an exceptional reputation in diagnostic testing drives a strategic expansion into genomic sequencing for Oncology, we need to hear from you.
@Orchard LLC has been asked to assist a firm already known for exceptional capabilities in the areas of diagnostic testing as they embark on a new venture and expansion. Our client has created a new Biosciences Division and is building a state-of-the-art lab in New Jersey to provide specialized genomic and anatomic pathology contract services for biopharma as well as for the standard of care patient testing. The services provided will assist in the research, development, and commercialization of new products for companies in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology space, with an emphasis on Oncology. Step one is to build the leadership team for the new facility, including the critical role of the Next Generation Sequencing Director. If you have ever wanted to put your technical and leadership skills to the test, in an environment where your ideas and concepts will be given free rein, then this is just the role you have been waiting for.
As the Director, Next Generation Sequencing, you will;
- Lead the R&D Scientists in developing new diagnostics within a highly dynamic team environment.
- Ensure the team applies scientific rigor, creative thinking, and disciplined experimentation, and demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning.
- Our client utilizes cutting-edge scientific platforms to address unserved clinical challenges.
- The outcome of this work is magnified when our client infuses research with pragmatic clinical insights on how to improve patient care.
- Our client’s work is specialized, so training on the job and knowledge sharing is an essential part of their work culture.
Some of your responsibilities include;
- Leading a team of scientists in developing, qualifying, and implementing molecular biology-based assays, especially next-generation sequencing with the accompanying bioinformatics.
- Functioning as a technical resource and SME for analytical method issues.
- Guiding and performing the analytical assay development and validation plans.
- Evaluating and implementing applicable reference materials and assay QC parameters applicable to different molecular platforms.
- Communicating and coordinating with the Bioinformatics group to develop prototypes and providing guidance on when to refactor prototypes into production pipelines.
- Managing and participating in tech transfer of analytical methods.
- Authoring development reports and SOPs.
- Developing and delivering scientific presentations and participating in project teams.
- Managing and supervising people, including selection, performance evaluations, and mentorship, especially to the NGS team.
- Providing bench hands-on support as needed.
- Providing input for annual budget and timeline planning.
- Aligning with the department and corporate goals.
- Reviewing and approving deviation investigations, change control, CAPA.
Your background will include;
- A Master’s degree with 10+ years of relevant research and scientific experience is required. Ph.D. in Cell & Molecular Biology, Biophysics, Biochemistry, or a related discipline preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in the biotechnology or pharma industry with the ability to demonstrate a primary focus on molecular biology-based method development.
- 3+ hands-on experience in NGS and PCR method development.
- Demonstrated experience with next-generation sequencing on Illumina TSO500 (preferred) or any other Illumina platforms, including library construction, sequencing, BI interpretation, and reporting.
- Experience with bioinformatics pipeline and the ability to troubleshoot minor problems is required.
- Proven ability to collaborate with BI on requirements is highly desirable.
- The ability to prove familiarity with nucleic acid extraction from tissues as well as plasma, manually and via automated extraction