Mechanical Designer (PDS 2D)
Do you want to be a part of history and help make the world a little bit safer? Join us at BGCAPP (Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant) where we will design, build, systemize, test, operate and close the plant whose mission is the safe and environmentally sound destruction of the chemical weapons stockpile stored at the Blue Grass Army Depot (BGAD) in Richmond, KY. The 15,000 acre depot stores mustard and nerve agent in rockets and projectiles. Our design concept for the pilot plant maximizes the use of existing technology from other successful chemical demilitarization facilities as well as First of a Kind (FOAK) technology.
Primary Job Functions & Objectives:
- Utilizes a CAD workstation to prepare difficult and complex layout and design drawings utilizing theoretical and practical design knowledge. Interprets and ensures conformance to applicable standards and codes, as well as company policies and procedures. Understands and utilizes more advanced software to complete assignments.
- Create effective HVAC, piping, control, automation, controls, utility, and other mechanical engineering systems design documents from engineering, manufacturer, and field information.
- Make changes to project and vendor produced design documents.
- Ensure conformance to required design tolerances, and specifications following a formal configuration management process.
- Work closely with Resident and Field Engineers, and other disciplines to ensure design documents are well coordinated.
- Checks orthographic (2D) and/or isometric (3D) drawings prepared by others. Performs checking procedures as appropriate to the discipline and assigned by immediate supervisor.
- Perform design field installation verifications and validate develop As-Built document set.
- Identifies installation or design layout issues and recommends/develops alternate design layouts of systems as required.
- Review’s supplier data and supplier/manufacturer drawings, as required.
- Performs other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Demonstrated experience identifying and coordinating work with appropriate disciplines.
- Strong understanding of multi-discipline teams and team roles.
- 2-year technical degree or certificate of completion from an accredited designer/drafter course (or equivalent) is preferred, as well as 4-6 years of relevant experience.
Highly Desirable Experience:
- Microstation Version 7.0 or J
- Intergraph PDS 2D Version 18.104.22.168 (Intelligent P&ID)
- Intergraph PDS 3D 2011 R1 Version 12.01.00.10 (3D Piping Design)
- PDS 2D ADMIN certification or training desired.
- PDS 2D USER certification or training desired.
Special Job Requirements:
- BGCAPP is subject to the Army Regulations (AR 50-6 Chemical Surety and AR 190-59 Chemical Agent Security Program) which govern persons performing work under the Chemical Personnel Reliability Program (CPRP) and Unescorted Access Program (UAP). Depending on the work performed and the access granted a government security investigation and other physical requirements may be mandated. Eligibility to be placed in a CPRP or UAP position requires US citizenship and the ability to successfully complete a National Agency Check with Local Credit Check. (NACLC).
- BGCAPP is a Drug Free Workplace. All employees are subject to and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of continued employment for the duration of their assignment.
- This position may also require use of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and personnel must pass a respirator fit test and pulmonary function test.
- Lifting/Carrying: Occasionally, up to 50 lbs. Climbing: Occasionally. Bending/Kneeling: Occasionally. Sitting: Infrequent. Walking/Standing: Frequently. Hearing: Able to hear audible alarms. Vision: Able to see/read/understand warning lights/signs.
- Ability to obtain and maintain Blue Grass Army Depot (BGAD) site access is required. Access requirements include completion of a local records check and National Crime Information Center (NCIC) check.
- BGCAPP operates on a 24/7 schedule including weekends and holidays. Ability to work a flexible schedule may be required.