- Researches, plans, analyzes, designs, and develops mechanical products such as ammunition handling systems, structures, gun systems, missile launchers, mechanisms, and other devices.
- Performs technical analysis, testing, and evaluation of moderately complex engineering problems using specialized equipment and computer programs.
- Analyzes and interprets design specifications, drawings, documents, models, and test results to ensure technical designs comply with applicable engineering standards, military specifications, and product requirements.
- Develops and writes technical documentation, makes revisions to existing documentation, and provides input to technical papers or presentations.
- May deliver technical presentations.
- B.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline (typically mechanical or aerospace engineering) plus 4 years relevant experience; or a M.S. degree and 2 years experience; or a Ph.D. in a relevant technical discipline.
- Must have working knowledge of creating moderately complex solid models and mechanical designs using CAD systems, preferable PTC Pro-E or CREO.
- Ability to solve moderately complex technical design and development problems that require a professional level of engineering knowledge.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Performs complex engineering design, development, analysis, experimentation, test, and product assurance tasks of limited complexity for assigned portions of a project.
- Solves moderately complex engineering problems which have not been clearly defined and may not have similar precedents available.
- Ensures tasks meet cost, quality, schedule, and performance requirements.
- Applies wide range of engineering design and analytical theory, principles, techniques, and practices to a complex portion of a technical project.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with customers.
- Acquires and maintains up-to-date knowledge of relevant engineering disciplines, industry practices, trends, and applications.
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety policies and rules.
- May direct the work of less senior technical personnel.
- Provides input to project leaders for the development of project plans, schedules, and budgets.
- Familiarity with relevant military and commercial design standards.